Soldier's forum

Here you can discuss anything you want. You can also say hi and introduce yourself to the Conquest community.
Forum: Soldier's forum

Opinions on South Africa (lifestyle and safety)

MVC
I went to live In South Africa in 2021 to escape the European lockdowns and vaccine mandates

My friends thought I was crazy and commented on how dangerous SA was.

Immediately when I arrived I noticed how warm, friendly and grounded the people were. From the taxi drivers to the Airbnb hosts that would treat my like an old friend. It was such a nice change from Europe were people often aren't that way.

I stayed in Cape town but also spent time along the garden route and PE. I absolutely loved it: the beaches, food, weather, culture, girls, nature etc.

And while I was always concerned about theft, I never once felt unsafe. Obviously the way I behaved and interacted with people was a factor (as well as being a muscular 95kg), but ultimately I feel SA (or atleast the western cape) is safe if you apply common sense.

I'm curious what Kurt and others think of SA, both in terms of lifestyle and safety, and how it compares to Colombia and Brazil.
06 Apr, 2023

Comments (6)

kurtcaz
South Africa is an extremely hospitable and welcoming place.
People are class, Food is great and it has a lot to offer nature wise.
However it is one of the most violent countries in the world, so keeping that in mind whilst visiting is key.
Always have your guard up, especially when your about to enter your home or stopping at traffic lights.
Other than that it's not as bad as people make it out to be.
Enjoy.
Kurt
07 Apr, 2023
Jizzy
Sa's probably one of the most special countries in the world. Specially Cape Town. I haven't come across any city that comes close to Cape Town. Cape Town isnt too unsafe either unless your spending time on the cape flats. The other big cities in Sa are terrible for safety. Dont hold your phone in public, dont wear nice watches and definitely dont stop at robots at night.
09 Apr, 2023
MULVEY
Kurt always tells me good things about SA, so I'm interested in visiting, I'm just not sure exactly what I'd want to see or do there.

Anybody who has got any decent ideas, let me know.
16 Apr, 2023
MVC
@MULVEY

Kurt always tells me good things about SA, so I'm interested in visiting, I'm just not sure exactly what I'd want to see or do there. Anybody who h...
There are a bunch of amazing tourist activities that are promoted: cable cars, shark cage dive, wines tour, safaris etc. Those activities alone are worth visiting.

I was only in the western cape and these are some things I enjoyed:

I met a beautiful black Zulu girl in CT. We started sleeping together and she showed me around. Id recommend that for sure.

Driving the garden route was spectacular. I love scenic drives and did it twice. I would often stop and marvel at the landscape. I would even just drive around Cape town because its so beautiful and see interesting things. For example I would see monkeys or a baboon troop.

I watched a rugby game (stormers). Great atomosphere.

Overall it was just interacting with the people and culture. Its hard to explain but the people just give off good energy. The bars and restaurants are amazing. Not pretentous at all imo - just great fun
16 Apr, 2023
MULVEY
@MVC

There are a bunch of amazing tourist activities that are promoted: cable cars, shark cage dive, wines tour, safaris etc. Those activities alone are wo...
Class - nice one.

Sometimes I like to do tourist stuff, I guess it depends on the place. Shark cage dive is defo on my list. I've swam with whale sharks and nurse sharks, but a proper sharks would be class I think.
17 Apr, 2023
reelbigstu
I lived there for a few years, i loved it.
I was staying in the NW province, so as an Englishman i was not so popular with some of the white Afrikaners (they have long memories!) but it was a great country to live in. Journeying through the Karoo was amazing, if peace and solitude is your thing then there is plenty of that to be found. I spent some time down around Cape Town, its a beautiful place and the wine is ace :D You have to go to Mr. Pickwicks Eating House, its crazy and the food is epic.
I eventually returned home with a serious rooinek tan and biltong addiction. I wanna go back!! I leaned some Afrikaans and Tswana along the way so it makes me laugh when Kurt uses random Afrikaans swearing/words in the videos.
07 Sep, 2023

You need to be logged in to post comments.

© Copyright Conquest 2024 | Website developed by Artenko | Privacy & Terms