Soldier's forum

Here you can discuss anything you want. You can also say hi and introduce yourself to the Conquest community.
Forum: Soldier's forum

Travel Essentials...

Unknown user
Hey Conquest crew. So... I am packing up my things for my trip back to Colombia in a few days, and I have to say... I have a lot of stuff with me! But, at the same time, I always feel as though there is something I am missing...

With that said, I am curious what you all think are essentials when you are packing for a loooooong trip.

What do you need to have with you? (Extra points for unusual stuff that may not be so obvious)
23 Aug, 2023

Comments (26)

MVC
Im interested to know what stuff you are packing? If you feel you have a lot you are probably doing it wrong.

I'm a frequent traveler and hyper minimalist. For me the key is to focus on light and essential. 95% of the time I travel internationally I only have a carry on bag. You save time and youre not lugging around extra weight. If you are a man going to a warm climate, a 7-10kg carry on bag + laptop should be more than enough. And if you need anything in your destination country you can buy it there.

Bag:
Firstly choose a light, waterproof, durable carry on bag. Atm Im using a Gonex duffle bag. It’s a 40L, looks good and weighs about 500grams. Its perfect.
23 Aug, 2023
MVC
Clothes:
Most of my travel clothes are from Uniqlo because they are light, fashionable and durable. I normally throw in 5-6 shirts, 4-5 pants, 2 singlets, 6 boxers. The weight is insignifcant. Add a pair of jeans/pants to go out in and maybe sweatpants to relax in. Also a light cotton jumper + a Uniqlo waterproof jacket and you are fine no matter the weather. I bring two non metal black belts with hidden money pocket (super light, can hide money in them, and don’t have to take off in security checks). 1x walking/gym shoes and 1x street shoes. Baseball cap, watch, sunglasses.

Bathroom:
Toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, aspirin, beard trimmer, razors, earplugs etc all in a small plastic zip bag
23 Aug, 2023
MVC
Electronics:
Laptop in satchel with accessories. Various charges and adapters. Kindle.

I also carry a spare phone, credit card, passport and cash.

That’s about it from memory. Super light and everything I need.
23 Aug, 2023
MVC
*I mean 4-5 shorts.
23 Aug, 2023
Unknown user
I am probably bringing too much stuff, but am leaving a bit behind due to weight restrictions interfering with me having more. I am bringing a few pairs of runners, trainers, crocs, boxing gloves/wraps, a variety of supplements (I am fairly keen on that sort of thing, and have had issues getting what I wanted there before for a reasonable price/without import fees). Hoodie, jacket, pants, trackies, a few shirts, a jumper, socks/boxers.

Computer hardware: laptop/iPad, camera, camcorder, mic, SSD adapters, few sets of headphones. A couple of notebooks for notes/writing generally, a couple of books (would like to bring more, but will have to go without).

I think that's most of it. I tried to be fairly meticulous in my planning this time around as I was less prepared last time that I would have liked.
23 Aug, 2023
Unknown user
What do you think?
23 Aug, 2023
MULVEY
I've been travelling with my partner for over 3 years now. We only have backpacks, but definitely don't stay in hostels or scrimp too much, we just don't value fashion and shit like that. All of this stuff below is split between two standard backpacks from Decathlon.

I have like 5 t-shirts, 3 pairs of shorts (gym, chill, outside), one pair of tracksuit bottoms, one down feather coat from Decathlon - this pushes into the bottom of the bag and takes up no space and can handle like Iceland weather. One pair of trainers to wear, one to use in the gym. MacBook and charge. Shaver. Tiny bag of liquids for flights. Underwear & socks. A tiny device to hold my phone when I rent a car, for maps. I have a backup of like 8 credit cards, just in case.

One very cool think, in my opinion is that instead of having a multi-adapter for different plug socket regions, I just have 3 different duckheads for my MacBook charger. US, UK, Europe. This adapter charges all of my stuff as it's USB-C. It saves a lot of space and hassle. There's defo a few things I've missed off, but nothing too important.

You can buy anything you need in a supermarket, just make sure you've got your wallet and passport.
23 Aug, 2023
MULVEY
Few more things. We have this 10L tiny bag from Decathlon that folds up inside itself to be the size of like a deck of cards. We use this to go to the beach with. We also have a microfibre towel - same reason.
23 Aug, 2023
MVC
@Unknown user

I am probably bringing too much stuff, but am leaving a bit behind due to weight restrictions interfering with me having more. I am bringing a few pai...
Have you weighed your gear and how much is it in total? It doesn’t sound excessive.

How long will you be in Colombia? Why do you need a camera and camcorder and multiple headphones? You can buy boxing gloves/warps there along with some new clothes if that’s weighing you down

No judgement, but I just don’t understand why people (in general) lug unessential or easily replaceable stuff across the world. I also think doing so prevents full immersion in the experince. if they are on a tight budget I understand.
23 Aug, 2023
MVC
@MULVEY

Few more things. We have this 10L tiny bag from Decathlon that folds up inside itself to be the size of like a deck of cards. We use this to go to the...
Yes, me too! I carry a small beach bag.

How much does all you gear weigh?
23 Aug, 2023
Unknown user
@MULVEY

I've been travelling with my partner for over 3 years now. We only have backpacks, but definitely don't stay in hostels or scrimp too much, we just do...
Sounds very streamlined. I am fairly particular about what I like, so I guess I am just erring on the side of caution so I am not left without the right things. I appreciate my creature comforts, I could definitely pack lighter, but I am not going to be constantly moving about from place to place. Good call on the MacBook charger, and using that as your charging hub. I use all Apple hardware too, so most of my stuff can be charged through my Mac too.

And getting things locally, I was talking more about supplements that are less common that I couldn't get last time I was there, or would be paying a lot more if I didn't bring em' with me.
23 Aug, 2023
Unknown user
@MVC

Have you weighed your gear and how much is it in total? It doesn’t sound excessive. How long will you be in Colombia? Why do you need a camera an...
I guess it's all about 30-35kgs. Not too bad. My suitcase itself weighs 5kgs ffs. But, it is nice, and built sturdily, so that is desirable. I had issues with suitcases in the past, so it was important for me to have one that isn't going to be easily breaking or losing wheels. heh

I will be there for... an as of yet undermined amount of time. I didn't get a return ticket, and just wanted to take some time to get away from Europe, and work on some creative projects. That's what some of the hardware is for. I am planning to create content, get some writing done. The mitts and wraps are light, and I am somewhat sentimental too, so I like my own things and the associate sense of familiarity. lol
23 Aug, 2023
Unknown user
*associated
23 Aug, 2023
spursben316
My 6 main essentials

1 A Kindle or e reader
2. Power Bank and 1 back up.
3 Spare cables
4 Hardrive
5 Emergency money very well hidden if the shit hits the fan.
6 A burner phone when get to the airport get 2 sim cards 1 for main and 1 for burner.

Have fun and remember I tell this to everyone soak it all up 1 life live it. Its so easy to be glued to your camera phone Electronics have days where its just u and your senses

I swear I'm getting old I never used to be like this
23 Aug, 2023
MULVEY
@MVC

Yes, me too! I carry a small beach bag. How much does all you gear weigh?...
Both bags come to like 16kg in total or something. We actually pack them a bit differently too. This might help people who travel in a couple.

All clothes in one bag. Everything else in the other, so when you get to the airport scanners, throw one bag straight through, pull the laptops and liquids out of the other and you're done.
24 Aug, 2023
MULVEY
@Unknown user

I guess it's all about 30-35kgs. Not too bad. My suitcase itself weighs 5kgs ffs. But, it is nice, and built sturdily, so that is desirable. I had iss...
You need a return or exit ticket to get through immigration in Colombia mate. Buy a refundable one or one that allows date changes or something.
24 Aug, 2023
MVC
@Unknown user

I guess it's all about 30-35kgs. Not too bad. My suitcase itself weighs 5kgs ffs. But, it is nice, and built sturdily, so that is desirable. I had iss...
30-35kgs seems like a lot even with the hardware. I know I could pack everything I need for a 6 month trip to Colombia in under 10kg. Guess we just have different mentalities when it comes to travelling. I appreciate you want supplies and familiarity (most people do), but I want ease and efficiency. No check in queues or dragging shit from taxi to hotel etc for me.

Another thing I always do is prearrange a taxi from the airport. Its maybe 10-30% more but theres no fucking around with taxi lines, cash, dodgy drivers etc
24 Aug, 2023
Unknown user
@MULVEY

You need a return or exit ticket to get through immigration in Colombia mate. Buy a refundable one or one that allows date changes or something....
I know. Although I want to stay ten months (3 months, extension, new year means 3 more months, plus another 3 month extension). I wasn't sure that would be allowed, seeing as the visa extension is not guaranteed. I was just going to pay for a service when someone makes a booking on your behalf, then cancel it once you get through customs. If that fails I can just buy another ticket while at the airport.
24 Aug, 2023
Unknown user
@MVC

30-35kgs seems like a lot even with the hardware. I know I could pack everything I need for a 6 month trip to Colombia in under 10kg. Guess we just h...
I know, I am a self-pampered little bitch when it comes to having my nice things. haha I can get by without, but having all my very particular bits and pieces greatly appeals to me. 30+ kilos in not too bad. I have lugged a lot more about the past few years. I am a big lad, I can manage. ;)
24 Aug, 2023
RyanMtz
You can really stretch a carry on bag that is meant to be a 3day bag into at least 3 weeks forth of clothes if you learn how to ranger roll your clothes. I like to travel light and at most just my carry on and a laptop bag. I can even toss in another pair of shoes for dress or comfort.
27 Aug, 2023
kurtcaz
I never used to have the luxury of traveling with much quality clothes but now I do and it is a lot better for me.
- Toiletries
- Underwear/socks
- Swim Shorts
- Gym clothes
- boxing gloves/ mouth guard and ball guard
- Sport shoes/trainers
- Shoes to look nice for going out at night or day
- 1/2 x Jeans grey and blue
- Standard Tracksuit pants for all occasions
- Button up shirts and t shirts
- winter jacket for cold weather
- Hoodie for all occasions
- hat for sun
- laptop etc for work

I don't travel with expensive jewelery or watches etc because losing those would suck.
05 Sep, 2023
Mateo Burt
I carry a VGOAL sling backpack chestbag from Amazon. I love it. It fits a 13 inch Macbook and my phones and more. Best of all it has a well hidden backside pocket that is perfect for cash and passport. The back pocket has a neat feature where you can slip the zipper fob into a little pocket. Slide it in one way and it nearly disappears. Put it in head first and it really disappears and you need a hook or pick to pull it out. Extra secure. It fits on my front chest easily, and for what it is worth, the airlines don't see it as any carry on bag. And on my front, no pickpockets can get to it. Solves a ton of problems. For low security around town, you can carry it like a single strap backpack. Very convenient. It also resists dirt very well.
27 Sep, 2023
Mateo Burt
cont'd part 2
For a carryon, I like the Osprey 46 carry on. It has backpack shoulder straps and belt that stow away easily even when the bag is extra full. Straps out and it works like a backpack with a waist belt. It has no wheels. I zing through airports as fast as I can walk. Stairs and escalators are no problem. Straps stowed and it becomes a simple side handle carry on. I pack it very full, and the gate at the airlines took one look at it and said.. gotta check it in. I tossed it at the carry on size check box and it slid right in like a glove. She let me take it with me. It also has auxiliary straps that you can add extras to the outside like your jacket etc. Very clean looking and a nice finish that resists dirt and doesn't look like a Gucci bag.
27 Sep, 2023
Mateo Burt
cont'd part 3
I also carry the "Mens Hiking Pants Quick Dry Lightweight Fishing Pants Convertible Zip Off Cargo Work Pants Trousers" from Amazon. Extremely lightweight, but warm enough. The pant legs zip off, so this doubles as my shorts. Handy when the plane is freezing and the destination is screaming hot. Off go the legs. Cargo pants with zipper pockets for security. They look nice enough to fake it for dinner. When it gets cold, I wear a thin pair of yoga pants underneath.

I like the long sleeve sun block Rayon shirts from Costco. Light and cool when it is hot, and warm when it gets chilly. I pack a couple long sleeve and a couple of short sleeve, including one black with a collar for that evening out look. They are wrinkle free, so you just jam them anywhere.
27 Sep, 2023
Mateo Burt
cont'd part 4
Others:
A safety razor, disassembled. TSA forbids them now, but cannot spot them disassembled. They cannot see the blades, which is why the ban the handle.
Toiletries
3 oz of sunscreen
3 oz of clothing detergent
3 oz of Head and Shoulders for my head and body. Works great for rashes and itches anywhere.
3 oz of DEET, mosquito repellent.
6 undies
6 pair sport socks and two shorty socks.
Two USB chargers for the MAC, one in the Osprey, one in the VGOAL in case I lose one or the other.
Two Android phones, one for Bank accounts and AUTH, one with a local chip as a burner. Auth phone stays in the VGOAL turned off.
One super mini umbrella that fits nicely in the VGOAL. I needed it once. Glad I had it.
Swim trunks if going to the beach and flip flops.
One micro fiber cloth (never used it)
A pack of doggy poo pickup wipes I found at OXXO. Better than a roll of TP.

I wear my heaviest clothes when flying/bus. Levi Jeans, long sleeve button shirt, hat and no-name tennis shoes. I wear a nylon web, all plastic military style belt, so no need to remove for TSA. Infinitely adjustable.

That leaves plenty of room for other gear.
27 Sep, 2023
Mateo Burt
@Mateo Burt

cont'd part 2 For a carryon, I like the Osprey 46 carry on. It has backpack shoulder straps and belt that stow away easily even when the bag is extr...
I see now that it is out of stock, no estimate of availability. Like I said, this is the one to get.
27 Sep, 2023

You need to be logged in to post comments.

© Copyright Conquest 2024 | Website developed by Artenko | Privacy & Terms